Art in Hand:
The World of Artist Trading Cards
We've heard that the exhibition entitled Art in Hand: The World of Artist Trading Cards, of artist trading cards by local, national and international artists, held in April 2009 at the historic Smithville Mansion Annex Art Gallery in Eastampton, New Jersey, has been a great success.
There were over 1,300 artist trading cards submitted by 143 artists from nine countries. Entries were received from participants throughout the USA, including both Alaska and Hawaii, and from as far afield as Spain, Italy, Finland, Israel, India and Australia. Works on display included miniature paintings, drawings, quilts, handmade felt, ceramic tiles, woodblock prints, collages, photographs and digital art.
Awards were made in the following categories:
- Best Painting: 'Grounded' (acrylic) by Sandra Tascarini of Seneca Falls, New York, USA
- Best Drawing: 'Joyous' (coloured pencils and markers) by Sal Scheibe of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Best Mixed Media: 'Rain' (mixed media) by Anna Vosburgh of Bridgeton, New Jersey, USA
- Best Alternative Media: 'Taste of Summer' (ceramic tile) by Kathy Casper of Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA
- Best Photograph: 'A Peach of a Rose' (colour photograph) by K E Sagers of Skillman, New Jersey, USA
- Best Representational: 'Matt 3' (coloured pencils and acrylics) by Cynthia Couch of Topeka, Kansas, USA
- Best Surreal: 'Sea Legs' (mixed media) by Elina Lundahl of Vesilahti, Finland
- Best Abstract: 'Untitled' (pastel) by Mary Beth Kazanicka of Landsdowne, Pennsylvania, USA